|Translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali||Translated by Hilali Khan|
|Surah 89 - The Dawn
With the Name of Allah, the Merciful Benefactor, The Merciful Redeemer
1. By the break of Day
2. By the Nights twice five;
3. By the even and odd (contrasted);
4. And by the Night when it passeth away -
5. Is there (not) in these an adjuration (or evidence) for those who understand?
6. Seest thou not how thy Lord dealt with the ‘Ad (people) -
7. Of the (city of) Iram, with lofty pillars,
8. The like of which were not produced in (all) the land?
9. And with the Thamud (people), who cut out (huge) rocks in the valley? -
10. And with Pharaoh, lord of stakes?
11. (All) these transgressed beyond bounds in the lands,
12. And heaped therein mischief (on mischief).
13. Therefore did thy Lord pour on them a scourge of diverse chastisements:
14. For thy Lord is (as a Guardian) on a watch-tower.
15. Now, as for man, when his Lord trieth him, giving him honour and gifts, then saith he, (puffed up), “My Lord hath honoured me.”
16. But when He trieth him, restricting his subsistence for him, then saith he (in despair), “My Lord hath humiliated me!”
17. Nay, nay! But ye honour not the orphans!
18. Nor do ye encourage one another to feed the poor! -
19. And ye devour inheritance - all with greed,
20. And ye love wealth with inordinate love!
21. Nay! When the earth is pounded to powder,
22. And thy Lord cometh, and His angels, rank upon rank,
23. And Hell, that Day, is brought (face to face) - on that Day will man remember, but how will that remembrance profit him?
24. He will say: “Ah! Would that I had sent forth (good deeds) for (this) my (Future) Life!”
25. For, that Day, His Chastisement will be such as none (else) can inflict,
26. And His bonds will be such as none (other) can bind.
27. (To the righteous soul will be said:) “O (thou) soul, in (complete) rest and satisfaction!
28. “Come back thou to thy Lord - well pleased (thyself), and well-pleasing unto Him!
29. “Enter thou, then, among My devotees!
30. “Yea, enter thou My Heaven!
|89. Surah Al-Fajr (The Break of Day or the Dawn)
1. By the dawn;
2. By the ten nights (i.e. the first ten days of the month of Dhul-Hijjah),
3. And by the even and the odd (of all the creations of Allah).
4. And by the night when it departs.
5. There is indeed in them (the above oaths) sufficient proofs for men of understanding (and that, they should avoid all kinds of sins and disbeliefs, etc.)!
6. Did you (O Muhammad) not see (thought) how your Lord dealt with 'Ad (people)?
7. Who were very tall like lofty pillars,
8. The like of which were not created in the land?
9. And (with) Thamud (people), who cut (hewed) out rocks in the valley (to make dwellings)?
10. And (with) Fir'aun (Pharaoh), who had pegs (who used to torture men by binding them to pegs)?
11. Who did transgress beyond bounds in the lands (in the disobedience of Allah).
12. And made therein much mischief.
13. So your Lord poured on them different kinds of severe torment.
14. Verily, your Lord is Ever Watchful (over them).
15. As for man, when his Lord tries him by giving him honour and gifts, then he says (puffed up): "My Lord has honoured me."
16. But when He tries him, by straitening his means of life, he says: "My Lord has humiliated me!"
17. Nay! But you treat not the orphans with kindness and generosity (i.e. you neither treat them well, nor give them their exact right of inheritance)!
18. And urge not on the feeding of AlMiskin (the poor)!
19. And you devour inheritance all with greed,
20. And you love wealth with much love!
21. Nay! When the earth is ground to powder,
22. And your Lord comes with the angels in rows,
23. And Hell will be brought near that Day. On that Day will man remember, but how will that remembrance (then) avail him?
24. He will say: "Alas! Would that I had sent forth (good deeds) for (this) my life!"
25. So on that Day, none will punish as He will punish.
26. And none will bind as He will bind.
27. (It will be said to the pious): "O (you) the one in (complete) rest and satisfaction!
28. "Come back to your Lord, Well-pleased (yourself) and well-pleasing unto Him!
29. "Enter you, then, among My honoured slaves,
30. "And enter you My Paradise!"