|Translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali||Translated by Hilali Khan|
|Surah 90 - The City
With the Name of Allah, the Merciful Benefactor, The Merciful Redeemer
1. I do call to witness this City -
2. And thou art a freeman of this City -
3. And (the mystic ties of) parent and child -
4. Verily We have created man into toil and struggle.
5. Thinketh he, that none hath power over him?
6. He may say (boastfully); Wealth have I squandered in abundance!
7. Thinketh he that none beholdeth him?
8. Have We not made for him a pair of eyes? -
9. And a tongue, and a pair of lips? -
10. And shown him the two highways?
11. But he hath made no haste on the path that is steep.
12. And what will explain to thee the path that is steep? -
13. (It is:) freeing the bondman;
14. Or the giving of food in a day of privation
15. To the orphan with claims of relationship,
16. Or to the indigent (down) in the dust.
17. Then will he be of those who believe, and enjoin patience, (constancy, and self-restraint), and enjoin deeds of kindness and compassion.
18. Such are the Companions of the Right Hand.
19. But those who reject Our Signs, they are the (unhappy) Companions of the Left Hand.
20. On them will be Fire vaulted over (all round)."
|90. Surah Al-Balad (The City)
1. I swear by this city (Makkah);
2. And you are free (from sin, to punish the enemies of Islam on the Day of the conquest) in this city (Makkah),
3. And by the begetter (i.e. Adam) and that which he begot (i.e. his progeny);
4. Verily, We have created man in toil.
5. Thinks he that none can overcome him?
6. He says (boastfully): "I have wasted wealth in abundance!"
7. Thinks he that none sees him?
8. Have We not made for him a pair of eyes?
9. And a tongue and a pair of lips?
10. And shown him the two ways (good and evil)?
11. But he has made no effort to pass on the path that is steep.
12. And what will make you know the path that is steep?
13. (It is) Freeing a neck (slave, etc.)
14. Or giving food in a day of hunger (famine),
15. To an orphan near of kin.
16. Or to a Miskin (poor) afflicted with misery.
17. Then he became one of those who believed, and recommended one another to perseverance and patience, and (also) recommended one another to pity and compassion.
18. They are those on the Right Hand (the dwellers of Paradise),
19. But those who disbelieved in Our Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), they are those on the Left Hand (the dwellers of Hell).
20. The Fire will be shut over them (i.e. they will be enveloped by the Fire without any opening or window or outlet.