by Matt Slick
- "Consider, too, the fact that Jehovah's organization alone, in all the earth, is directed by God's holy spirit or active force (Zech. 4:6). Only this organization functions for Jehovah's purpose and to his praise. To it alone God's Sacred Word, the Bible, is not a sealed book . . . How very much true Christians appreciate associating with the only organization on earth that understands the 'deep things of God"! . . . Furthermore, this organization alone is supplied with 'gifts in men,' such as evangelizers, shepherd and teachers . . . ," (Watchtower, July 1, 1973).
It is always a problem when a group points to itself as being the only way to God's truth. Apparently, they aren't as is evidenced by their failed prophecies. Consider the following:
- "And the period of falling also corresponds; for the time our Lord said, 'Your house is left unto you desolate, ' A.D. 33, to A.D. 70 was 36 1/2 years; and so from A.D. 1878 to the end of A.D. 1914 is 36 1/2 years. And with the end of A.D. 1914, what God calls Babylon, and what men call Christendom, will have passed away, as already shown from prophecy," (Thy Kingdom Come, 1891 ed., p. 153).
- "The date of the close of that 'battle' is definitely marked in Scripture as October, 1914. It is already in progress, its beginning dating from October, 1874," (Watchtower, Jan. 15, 1892, p. 21-23).
- "For instance, as we look back and note that the Scriptures marked 1873 as the end of six thousand years from Adam to the beginning of the seventh thousand, and the fall of 1874 as the beginning of the forty-year harvest of the Gospel age and day of wrath for the overthrow of all the institutions of 'this present evil world [or order of affairs], we can see that facts have well borne out those predictions of Scripture," (View from the Tower, vol. 15, no. 14, July 15, 1894, p. 1675).
- "Be not surprised, then, when in subsequent chapters we present proofs that the setting up of the Kingdom of God is already begun, that it is pointed out in prophecy as due to begin the exercise of power in A. D. 1878, and that the 'battle of the great day of God Almighty' (Rev. 16:14), which will end in A.D. 1914 with the complete overthrow of earth's present rulership, is already commenced," (The Time is at Hand, 1911 ed., p. 101).
- "The Scriptural proof is that the second presence of the Lord Jesus Christ began in 1874 A.D," (Prophecy, 1929, p. 65).
It is obvious that the Watchtower Organization was wrong. It claims to be the only channel of God's truth, yet it has missed the mark from the very beginning. Can it be trusted? No.
This article is also available in: Español