by Matt Slick
Gospel, The gospel is never explained in the Quran nor the Hadith. Christians consider the gospel to be the message of salvation (1 Cor. 15:1-4) and also the whole of the teachings of Christ found in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. But Muslims denies this. According to Islam, the gospel was given to Jesus by Allah and is not to be equated with the four Gospels found in the New Testament. However, they don't know if the "real" gospel of Jesus was ever written down. So, they say Jesus was given the gospel from Allah, but they don't know what it is, even though they deny the gospel spoken of by Christ in the New Testament.
- Allah will teach them the gospel
- Surah 3:48, “And Allah will teach him the Book and Wisdom, the Law and the Gospel.”
- Gospel sent from Allah
- Surah 3:3, “It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step), in truth, the Book, confirming what went before it; and He sent down the Law (of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus) before this, as a guide to mankind, and He sent down the criterion (of judgment between right and wrong).”
- Judge by the gospel
- Surah 5:47, “Let the people of the Gospel judge by what Allah hath revealed therein. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (no better than) those who rebel.”
- Gospel revealed to Abraham
- Surah 3:65, “Ye People of the Book! Why dispute ye about Abraham, when the Law and the Gospel Were not revealed till after him? Have ye no understanding?”
- Gospel revealed to Jesus
- Surah 5:46, “And in their footsteps We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Law that had come before him: We sent him the Gospel: therein was guidance and light, and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear Allah.”
- Surah 57:27, "Then, in their wake, We followed them up with (others of) Our messengers: We sent after them Jesus the son of Mary, and bestowed on him the Gospel; and We ordained in the hearts of those who followed him Compassion and Mercy. But the Monasticism which they invented for themselves, We did not prescribe for them: (We commanded) only the seeking for the Good Pleasure of Allah; but that they did not foster as they should have done. Yet We bestowed, on those among them who believed, their (due) reward, but many of them are rebellious transgressors.
- Gospels mention Muhammad
- Surah 7:157, "Those who follow the messenger, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures),- in the law and the Gospel;- for he commands them what is just and forbids them what is evil; he allows them as lawful what is good (and pure) and prohibits them from what is bad (and impure); He releases them from their heavy burdens and from the yokes that are upon them. So it is those who believe in him, honour him, help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him,- it is they who will prosper."
- The gospels were in Arabic at the time of Muhammad
- The Prophet returned to Khadija while his heart was beating rapidly. She took him to Waraqa bin Naufal who was a Christian convert and used to read the gospels in Arabic Waraqa asked (the Prophet), "What do you see?" When he told him, Waraqa said, "That is the same angel whom Allah sent to the Prophet) Moses. Should I live till you receive the Divine Message, I will support you strongly." (Sahih Bukhari, Book #55, Hadith #605; Narrated 'Aisha)