by Matt Slick
In Islam, the Holy Spirit is not the same as in Christianity. In Islam, the Holy Spirit is from Allah but is more like his breath. It is not self-aware. That is why Islam teaches that the Holy Spirit strengthened Jesus as well as others and that the Spirit of God was breathed into Adam and Mary. In Christianity, the Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity. But Islam denies the Trinity and therefore says the Holy Spirit is a force, a presence.
- Brought the revelation to Muhammad
- Surah 16:102, "Say, the Holy Spirit has brought the revelation from thy Lord in Truth, in order to strengthen those who believe, and as a Guide and Glad Tidings to Muslims."
- Strengthened Jesus
- Surah 2:87, "We gave Moses the Book and followed him up with a succession of apostles; We gave Jesus the son of Mary Clear (Signs) and strengthened him with the holy spirit. Is it that whenever there comes to you an apostle with what ye yourselves desire not, ye are puffed up with pride?—Some ye called impostors, and others ye slay!"
- Surah 2:253, " Those apostles We endowed with gifts, some above others: To one of them Allah spoke; others He raised to degrees (of honour); to Jesus the son of Mary We gave clear (Signs), and strengthened him with the holy spirit. If Allah had so willed, succeeding generations would not have fought among each other, after clear (Signs) had come to them, but they (chose) to wrangle, some believing and others rejecting. If Allah had so willed, they would not have fought each other; but Allah Fulfilleth His plan."
- Surah 5:110, "Then will Allah say: “O Jesus the son of Mary! Recount My favour to thee and to thy mother. Behold! I strengthened thee with the holy spirit, so that thou didst speak to the people in childhood and in maturity...."
- Strengthens others
- Surah 58:22, "Thou wilt not find any people who believe in Allah and the Last Day, loving those who resist Allah and His Apostle, even though they were their fathers or their sons, or their brothers, or their kindred. For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with a spirit from Himself.. And He will admit them to Gardens beneath which Rivers flow, to dwell therein (for ever). Allah will be well pleased with them, and they with Him. They are the Party of Allah. Truly it is the Party of Allah that will achieve Felicity.
- Spirit of God
- Breathed into Man
- Surah 32:9, "But He fashioned him in due proportion, and breathed into him something of His spirit. And He gave you (the faculties of) hearing and sight and feeling (and understanding): little thanks do ye give!"
- Breathed into Mary to make Jesus
- Surah 21:91, "And (remember) her who guarded her chastity: We breathed into her of Our spirit, and We made her and her son a sign for all peoples.
- Surah 66:12, "And Mary the daughter of ‘Imran, who guarded her chastity; and We breathed into (her body) of Our spirit; and she testified to the truth of the words of her Lord and of His Revelations, and was one of the devout (servants)."
- Spirit of Inspiration
- Surah 40:15, "Raised high above ranks (or degrees), (He is) the Lord of the Throne (of Authority): by His Command doth He send the Spirit (of inspiration) to any of His servants he pleases, , that it may warn (men) of the Day of Mutual Meeting."