by Matt Slick
Muslims are supposed to be the true believers in the true God. The word "Muslim" means one who submits. So, a Muslim is someone who is submitting to the will of Allah. Of course, Allah is a false God, so Muslims are submitting their lives and their souls to something that is false. Nevertheless, Muslims are supposed to follow what the Quran says and follow the example of Muhammad (Surah 33:21).
- Are to believe in the Revelation sent before Muhammad’s time.
- Surah 2:2-4, “This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear Allah; 3 Who believe in the Unseen, are steadfast in prayer, and spend out of what We have provided for them; 4 And who believe in the Revelation sent to thee, and sent before thy time, and (in their hearts) have the assurance of the Hereafter.”
- Avoid harming other Muslims
- Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr: The Prophet said, "A muslim is the one who avoids harming muslims with his tongue and hands. And a Muhajir (emigrant) is the one who gives up (abandons) all what Allah has forbidden." (Sahih Bukhari, Book #2, Hadith #9)
- Narrated Al-Ahnaf bin Qais: While I was going to help this man ('Ali Ibn Abi Talib), Abu Bakra met me and asked, "Where are you going?" I replied, "I am going to help that person." He said, "Go back for I have heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'When two muslims fight (meet) each other with their swords, both the murderer as well as the murdered will go to the Hell-fire.' I said, 'O Allah's Apostle! It is all right for the murderer but what about the murdered one?' Allah's Apostle replied, "He surely had the intention to kill his companion." (Sahih Bukhari, Book #2, Hadith #30)
- Bow to the will of Allah
- Surah 2:128, "Our Lord! Make of us Muslims, bowing to Thy (Will), and of our progeny a people Muslim, bowing to Thy (will); and show us our place for the celebration of (due) rites; and turn unto us (in Mercy); for Thou art the Oft-Returning, Most Merciful."
- If three of a Muslim's children die before puberty, he will be granted Paradise.
- Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) said, "Any muslim whose three children died before the age of puberty will be granted Paradise by Allah because of His mercy to them." (Sahih Bukhari, Book #23, Hadith #463, Narrated Anas bin Malik)
- The Best Muslims learn and teach the Quran
- The Prophet said, "The most superior among you (muslims) are those who learn the Qur'an and teach it." (Sahih Bukhari, Book #61, Hadith #546, Narrated Uthman bin Affan)
- First Muslim was Muhammad.
- Surah 6:14, "Say: “Shall I take for my protector any other than Allah, the Maker of the heavens and the earth? And He it is that feedeth but is not fed.” Say: “Nay! But I am commanded to be the first of those who bow to Allah (in Islam), and be not thou of the company of those who join gods with Allah.”
- Surah 39:12, "And I [Muhammad] am commanded to be the first of those who bow to Allah in Islam."
- First Muslim was Moses
- Surah 7:143, "When Moses came to the place appointed by Us, and his Lord addressed him, He said: “O my Lord! Show (Thyself) to me, that I may look upon thee.” Allah said: “By no means canst thou see Me (direct); But look upon the mount; if it abide in its place, then shalt thou see Me.” When his Lord manifested His glory on the Mount, He made it as dust. And Moses fell down in a swoon. When he recovered his senses he said: “Glory be to Thee! To Thee I turn in repentance, and I am the first to believe."