by Matt Slick
The Quran is supposed to be the infallible perfect word of Allah revealed through Muhammad the prophet of Islam. Therefore, the Quran cannot have any mistakes in it. But, it does. This means it is not truly from God.
Surah 4:82, "Do they not consider the Qur’an (with care)? Had it been from other than Allah, they would surely have found therein much discrepancy."
As you can see from this verse in the Quran, it states that if there are mistakes, discrepancies, and the Quran is not from Allah. So, let's take a look at some of the mistakes. I will use the Yusuf Ali translation and I have included the citations in the paragraphs is that as footnotes so that people can copy and paste them, with documentation, and to chat rooms, emails, social media.
Mistake: Trinity is three Gods
The Islamic concept of the Trinity as revealed in the Quran errantly asserts that the Trinity is three gods. But that is a mistake. The Trinity is never been three gods. There are two verses in the Quran which demonstrate just such a mistake. Surah 4:171 and Surah 5:73.
- Surah 4:171, "O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) an apostle of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His apostles. Say not “Trinity”: desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is one Allah: Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.
- Surah 5:73, "They do blaspheme who say: Allah is one of three in a Trinity: for there is no god except One Allah. If they desist not from their word (of blasphemy), verily a grievous penalty will befall the blasphemers among them." (Ali)
Muslim scholars have made commentaries on these verses. Let's take a look at the commentary (Tafsir) from Muslim sources, on Surah 5:116.
- Commentary regarding Surah 4:171, "So believe in God and His messengers, and do not say, that the gods are, ‘Three’, God, Jesus and his mother. Refrain, from this and say what, it is better for you, [to say], which is the profession of His Oneness. Verily, God is but One God."(http://www.altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?tMadhNo=0&tTafsirNo=74&tSoraNo=4&tAyahNo=171&tDisplay=yes&UserProfile=0&LanguageId=2, Fafsir al-Jalalayn, underline added)
- Commentary regarding Surah 5:73, "They are indeed disbelievers those who say, ‘God is the third of three’, gods, that is, He is one of them, the other two being Jesus and his mother, and they [who claim this] are a Christian sect; when there is no god but the One God. If they do not desist from what they say, when they declare a trinity, and profess His Oneness, those of them who disbelieve, that is, [those] who are fixed upon unbelief, shall suffer a painful chastisement, namely, the Fire."(http://www.altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?tMadhNo=0&tTafsirNo=74&tSoraNo=5&tAyahNo=73&tDisplay=yes&UserProfile=0&LanguageId=2, Fafsir al-Jalalayn, underline added)
Mistake: In Surah 4:171 the same mistake occurs that is made in Surah 5:73 where it implies that the Trinity is more than one Allah, more than one God, implying the Trinity is polytheism. It is not. The Trinity is by definition monotheistic. The Quran again made a mistake.
Mistake: In Surah 5:73, the Quran says the trinity is false because it is not three and then it states that there is only one Allah. The word for "god" in Arabic is "Allah". So it is saying the trinity is false, because there are not three gods, only one God. This is implying that the Trinity is three gods. But, this is wrong because the Trinity is by definition not three gods. It is one God in three distinct persons.
Mistake: Mary as part of the Trinity
- Surah 5:116, "And behold! Allah will say: 'O Jesus the son of Mary! Didst thou say unto men, worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of Allah?” ” He will say: “Glory to Thee! Never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my heart, Thou I know not what is in Thine. For Thou knowest in full all that is hidden."
Let's take A look at Muslim commentaryon this verse.
- Commentary regarding Surah 5:116, "And, mention, when God says, that is, when God will say, to Jesus at the Resurrection in rebuke of his followers: ‘O Jesus, son of Mary, did you say to mankind, “Take me and my mother as gods, besides God”?’ He, Jesus, says, shuddering: ‘Glory be to You!, exalted be You above all that does not befit You, such as [having] a partner and so on..." (http://www.altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?tMadhNo=0&tTafsirNo=74&tSoraNo=5&tAyahNo=116&tDisplay=yes&UserProfile=0&LanguageId=2, Tafsir al-Jalalayn, underline added)
As a note, commentary on Surah 4:171 mentioned above also reveals that Mary was mistakingly considered part of the Trinity as is described in the Quran.
Commentary regarding Surah 4:171, "So believe in God and His messengers, and do not say, that the gods are, ‘Three’, God, Jesus and his mother. Refrain, from this and say what, it is better for you, [to say], which is the profession of His Oneness. Verily, God is but One God."(http://www.altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?tMadhNo=0&tTafsirNo=74&tSoraNo=4&tAyahNo=171&tDisplay=yes&UserProfile=0&LanguageId=2, Tafsir al-Jalalayn, underline added)
Mistake:: Surah 5:116 implies that Christians taught that Mary is not part of the Trinity (which the Quran says is three gods). Christianity has never taught that Mary is to be worshiped or part of the Trinity. The Quran made a mistake.
Mistake: Son of God means that God had sex with a woman
- Surah 6:101, "To Him is due the primal origin of the heavens and the earth: How can He have a son when He hath no consort? He created all things, and He hath full knowledge of all things."
A consort, in this context, is a wife or spouse. So the Quran implies that the idea of Jesus being the son of God means that Allah had sex with a woman. But this, of course, has never been anything that Christianity has taught. Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary.
Mistake: The Quran mistakingly implies that the Christian term "son of God" means that Allah had sex with a woman (Surah 6:101). But, Christianity and the Bible never teach such a thing. The Quran got it wrong.
Mistake: Mary the sister of Aaron
- Surah 19:27-28, "At length she brought the (babe) to her people, carrying him (in her arms). They said: “O Mary! Truly an amazing thing hast thou brought! 28. “O sister of Aaron! Thy father was not a man of evil, nor thy mother a woman unchaste!"
Mistake: Mary, the mother of Jesus, was not the sister of Aaron. Aaron was born about 2000 years before Mary. This is another example of an error made in the Quran.