by Matt Slick
Depending on the Bible, there is anywhere from 13 to 23 times that the word, "Hell" appears in English Bibles. The King James has more verses than all the other Bibles because it renders three words (gahenna, hades, tartaros) into "Hell" where modern Bibles render them as Hell and hades.
- Gehennah, Matt. 5:22, 29, 30, 10:28, 18:9, 23:15, 23:33, Mark 9:43, 45, 47, Luke 12:5, James 3:6
- Hades, Matt. 11:23, 16:18, Luke 10:15, 16:23, Acts 2:27, 31, 1 Cor. 15:551 Rev. 1:18, 6:8, 20:13, 14
- Tartaros, 2 Pet. 2:4
- Gehennah, γέεννα, (12)
- Matt. 5:22, "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire."
- Matt. 5:29, "If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell."
- Matt. 5:30, "And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell."
- Matt. 10:28, "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell."
- Matt. 18:9, "And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into the hell of fire."
- Matt. 23:15, "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel across sea and land to make a single proselyte, and when he becomes a proselyte, you make him twice as much a child of hell as yourselves."
- Matt. 23:33, "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell?"
- Mark 9:43, "And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire."
- Mark 9:45, "And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than with two feet to be thrown into hell."
- Mark 9:47, "And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell."
- Luke 12:5, "But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him!"
- James 3:6, "And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell."
- Hades, αδης (11)
- Matt. 11:23, "And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? You will be brought down to Hades. For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day."
- Matt. 16:18, "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it."
- Luke 10:15, "And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? You shall be brought down to Hades."
- Luke 16:23, "and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side."
- Acts 2:27, "For you will not abandon my soul to Hades, or let your Holy One see corruption."
- Acts 2:31, "he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption."
- 1 Cor. 15:55, "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?”
- Rev. 1:18, "and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades."
- Rev. 6:8, "And I looked, and behold, a pale horse! And its rider’s name was Death, and Hades followed him. And they were given authority over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by wild beasts of the earth."
- Rev. 20:13, "And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done."
- Rev. 20:14, "Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire."
- Tartaros, ταρταρός (1)
- 2 Pet. 2:4, "For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment."
How many times do different Bibles translate hell in the English?
- KJV, 23 times
- NKJV, 13 times
- RSV, 13 times
- NASB, 13 times
- NIV, 14 times
- 1. 1 Cor. 15:55 has textual variants where some ancient manuscripts say "O Hades, where is your victory" and others say "O Death where is your victory."