by Matt Slick
Islamophobia is a fear of, prejudice towards, disdain for, and/or discrimination against Muslims. The word is often applied to people who are against Islam - whether those people are informed or not about the teachings of and practice of Muslims. Some of the manifestations of Islamophobia are as hostility towards them, and/or the attitude of condemnation of Islam, its teachings, and those who follow it. The word "Islamophobia" literally means fear of Islam. Is the fear of Islam right or wrong? Should we fear its adherents? Or, are such fears about it the result of propaganda and irrationality?
The term, along with "Islamophobe", are often used by the left and in particular Muslims, to accuse people of promoting fear and irrationality. It is an attempt to silence those in opposition to Islam whether or not the critics of Islam are informed. After all, Muslims want to appear helpful and peaceful as they promote their religion.
Is it irrational to be afraid of what Islam presents? Not at all. Islam is not simply a religion. It is an entire set of rules and regulations that govern commerce, education, food, medicine, and social structures. It necessarily supplants all other cultural and political systems since it cannot work in concert with a democracy, a republic, or even socialism. The goal of Islam is world domination.
- Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah 's Apostle said, "I have been ordered to fight with the people till they say, 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah,' and whoever says, 'None has the right to be worshipped but Allah,' his life and property will be saved by me except for Islamic law, and his accounts will be with Allah, (either to punish him or to forgive him.)" (Book #52, Hadith #196)
In addition, the Quran tells Muslims to fight those who are not Muslims.
- 9:29, "Fight [to kill, arabic] those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Apostle, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued," (Quran 9:29).
- 8:39, "And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah altogether and everywhere; but if they cease, verily Allah doth see all that they do."
- See also 2:191, 193; 3:118, 4:75, 76; 5:33; 8:12; 8:65; 9:5, 73, 123; 33:60-62.
Some may say that these verses are taken out of context. Therefore, I suggest that you do your own study (quran.com) and read the context. Some verses imply a defensive stature while others are definitely aggressive.
As you can see, the Koran tells Muslims to fight those who are not with them. It also talks about casting terror into the hearts of non-Muslims. Consider these quotes from the Quran.
- 3:151, ”Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority: their abode will be the Fire: And evil is the home of the wrong-doers!”
- 8:12, “Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): aI am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them.’”
- 8:60, “Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies, of Allah and your enemies, and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom Allah doth know. Whatever ye shall spend in the cause of Allah, shall be repaid unto you, and ye shall not be treated unjustly.”
- 33:26-27, “And those of the People of the Book who aided them - Allah did take them down from their strongholds and cast terror into their hearts. (So that) some ye slew, and some ye made prisoners. 27 And He made you heirs of their lands, their houses, and their goods, and of a land which ye had not frequented (before). And Allah has power over all things.”
- 59:13, “Of a truth ye are stronger (than they) because of the terror in their hearts, (sent) by Allah. This is because they are men devoid of understanding.”
If that weren't enough, there is also the following out the Quran that speaks of physically harming those who do not agree with Islam and are against it.
- Beheading, 8:12, "When thy Lord inspired the angels, (saying): I am with you. So make those who believe stand firm. I will throw fear into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Then smite the necks and smite of them each finger. 13 That is because they opposed Allah and His messenger. Whoso opposeth Allah and His messenger, (for him) lo! Allah is severe in punishment," (Quran 8:12).
- Allah urges war, 8:65, "O Prophet! urge the believers to war; if there are twenty patient ones of you they shall overcome two hundred, and if there are a hundred of you they shall overcome a thousand of those who disbelieve, because they are a people who do not understand," (Quran 8:65).
- Slay non-Muslims, 9:5, "Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful," (Quran 9:5).
Should we be afraid of Islam? In my opinion, we should be very concerned about a religion that urges its members to wage war and strike terror into the hearts of those who do not agree with them. It is not a religion of peace, but of domination.