by Matt Slick
The aseity of God is His independent, self-existence. It is another word for His non-contingency. If God is self-existent and depends on nothing else for His being, then He is necessarily without cause and eternal.
If God is independent and self-sufficient, then it is not possible for us to influence God to do what we want. It would mean that God knows all things from all eternity and that He does not look in the future to see who will do what in order for Him to make His decisions based on what He sees. God's independence means that He does not consider what someone might do in a certain place and time and then make His choice based on that foreseen knowledge. That would violate God's non-contingency because it would mean that His choices and resulting actions from those choices are contingent upon the foreseen choices of others. This can't be.
Following are various verses used to support God's aseity.
- God is the existing one
- Ex. 3:14, "God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM'; and He said, 'Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel,' "I AM has sent me to you."'"
- God has life in himself
- John 5:26, "For just as the Father has life in Himself, even so He gave to the Son also to have life in Himself."
- God is without beginning, or end. He is everlasting.
- Psalm 90:2, "Before the mountains were born or You gave birth to the earth and the world. Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God."
- Psalm 93:2, "Your throne is established from of old. You are from everlasting."
- Psalm 102:25, "Of old You founded the earth, and the heavens are the work of Your hands."
- Habakkuk 1:12, "Are You not from everlasting. O LORD, my God, my Holy One? We will not die. You, O LORD, have appointed them to judge. And You, O Rock, have established them to correct."
God is independent of creation, because is its creator
- Psalm 102:24-25, "I say, 'O my God, do not take me away in the midst of my days. Your years are throughout all generations. 25 Of old You founded the earth, and the heavens are the work of Your hands.'"
- Acts 17:23-25, "For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription, ‘TO AN UNKNOWN GOD.’ Therefore what you worship in ignorance, this I proclaim to you. 24 “The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; 25 nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things."
- Romans 11:36, "For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen."
- Revelations 4:11, "Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created."
This article is available in: Português