by Matt Slick
Homosexuality/LGBT is a sin because it goes against God's nature. God speaks out of what he is. His words reflect his essence (Matt. 12:34). God created the universe and us in it, as an expression of his holy nature and will. This is why the Bible says that the heavens declare the glory of God (Psalm 19:1; 50:6). We, too, are a declaration of his glory because we are made in His image (Gen. 1:26-28).
Furthermore, when God created us, he created a single man and a single woman who would work together to accomplish the command of God: to multiply, fill the earth, and subdue it. Homosexuality cannot accomplish that command. Therefore, homosexuality/LGBT is a contradiction of God's command and is, therefore, sinful.
But of course, many people don't affirm the Bible as the word of God, and so ignore its condemnation of homosexuality (Lev. 18:22; 20:13; 1 Cor. 6:9-10; Rom. 1:26-28). They resist God and his truth. I can only recommend that they turn from their sin and come to faith in Christ Jesus is God in flesh (John 1:1, 14) and who died on the cross for our sins and rose from the dead three days later (1 Corinthians 15:1-4).
God started it
Nevertheless, let's take a look at how God began the human race. That would reveal his plan and intention.
- Genesis 1:27–28, "God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
In these two verses we have the scriptural basis for why homosexuality is wrong. There are two main reasons: It goes against the created order and it nullifies the Dominion Mandate.
- The Created Order: God created male and female and blessed them. He did not bless male with male or female with female. So, homosexuality is a direct rebellion against the created order of God and his blessing on that male-female union.
- The Dominion Mandate: The Dominion Mandate is the command of God to "be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth..." (v. 28). In homosexual unions, that is not possible because there can be no offspring who could carry out the command of God. The only way to subdue the earth, is to have children who would then 'fill' the earth. Homosexuality would stand in the way of that. Therefore, homosexuality would a contradiction of the command of God. Therefore, it is sinful.
Another reason it is sinful is because it is a form of fornication.
Fornication is the act of sexual relations outside of marriage. Now, someone who affirms LGBT might say that once homosexuals are married, it is no longer fornication. But the fact is, homosexual promiscuity his hugely problematic. Consider this information about male homosexual promiscuity.
- 28% of homosexual men had more than 1000 partners: "Bell and Weinberg reported evidence of widespread sexual compulsion among homosexual men. 83% of the homosexual men surveyed estimated they had had sex with 50 or more partners in their lifetime, 43% estimated they had sex with 500 or more partners; 28% with 1,000 or more partners. Bell and Weinberg p 308." (exodusglobalalliance.org/ishomosexualityhealthyp60.php)
Furthermore, marriage is defined and ordained by God in Gen. 2:24-25 as between a man and a woman.
- Genesis 2:24–25, "For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh. 25 And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed."
Unfortunately, the LGBT movement is seeking to redefine what marriage is. They want to move it away from a male with a female,to a male with a male, and a female with female - and who knows what else. After all, different groups with different sexual "orientations" will undoubtedly try to have marriage defined in such a way that would justify their particular sexual proclivities. What's to stop marriage redefinition from expanding to the point where pedophilia is accepted if it is defined as "marriage." Or, why not bring back polygamy, or redefine it as marriage to animals, or to automobiles, etc.? The proclivity of people to sin, to redefine, to push the envelope, is constant. Without proper boundaries set in place, the degradation of the marriage institution will be so bad, that it will be meaningless. It will progress not only into absurdity, but will continue to press on in his rebellion against the wisdom and truth of God's created order.
Homosexuality/LGBT is sinful because it goes against the nature of God. It violates the created order of God of a male and a female as the marriage unit (Gen. 2:24-25), contradicts the dominion mandate by denying the production of children (Gen. 1:28), encourages sexual promiscuity, and seeks to redefine marriage as defined by God (Gen. 2:24-25). This opens the door to all other sorts of redefinitions, including the marriage of adults with children, or animals, to one's self, and even to objects.