by Matt Slick
Salvation is not for everyone. Not all people will be saved because not all people trust in Jesus as their Savior (Matthew 7:13-14; John 3:18). The Bible tells us that salvation is being delivered from the righteous judgment of God (Rom. 5:9). God has given us The Law (the Ten Commandments), and when we break The Law we have sinned (1 John 3:4). The only way to be delivered from the righteous judgment of breaking The Law of God is through the sacrifice of Christ. Jesus was made under the law (Galatians 4:4) and fulfilled The Law perfectly without ever sinning (Matt. 5:17; 1 Pet. 2:22). So, to be saved from God's judgment we need to trust in what Christ has done on the cross as a sacrifice on our behalf (Acts 15:11). But not all people do this. Therefore, not all are saved. There are those who reject Christ and so cannot be saved by faith. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life," (John 3:16).
Furthermore, we know that people will be damned as is revealed in the following verses.
- Matthew 7:13-14, “Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide, and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and many are those who enter by it. 14 For the gate is small, and the way is narrow that leads to life, and few are those who find it."
- Matthew 25:46, "And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
- Mark 3:29, "but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin."
- 2 Thessalonians 1:9, "And these will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power."
- Revelation 14:10, "he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb."
- Revelation 20:10, "And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever."
So, the Scriptures clearly teach that not all are saved, and unfortunately many will be eternally damned (Matt. 7:23).