Welcome to the Nov. 17, 2006 Newsletter
From the President, Matt Slick
If you are at all familiar with Wikipedia, you might want to check out the articles about me and Carm by using the search feature there (www.wikipedia.com). Apparently, some atheists have authored two articles: "Matt Slick" and "Carm." Of course, they claim they are objective, but they are not. They link to most any anti-carm or anti-matt slick "hate" websites they can find and under the "criticism" section, word things in such a way as to make it appear that I am narrowminded, afraid of rational dialogue, a bigot, etc. They have changed the correction edits to the article every time and have linked to forums and hate sites authored by atheists and liberals that attack me and CARM. When Christians have tried to go in to make corrections, the atheists remove them and have even had the administrators for Wikipedia assisting them. Now the Wikipedia administrators apparently block anyone that edits in favor of CARM.
It seems that only the atheists and liberals have the right to edit the articles and I'm sure they are thoroughly enjoying this little bit of revenge. After all, about two years ago on the CARM discussion boards, a group of atheists received the short end of of the stick on a discussion on morality with me. They're still, apparently, upset about this and are still obsessed with CARM and my person. It is almost like being stalked. Believe me, it is like a soap opera. But, it has definitely helped CARM's popularity.
Anyway, please join us in addressing these articles on Matt Slick and Carm on Wikipedia. Maybe emails to wikipedia from a few thousand Christians would get the proper attention: info-en-q@ wikimedia.org.
Finally, please understand that I have no problem with being criticized. It's just that the articles contain biased information and links to wacko sites, in violation to the Wikipedia rules and they won't allow it to be corrected.
Please pray for my father. He is 80 years old and was recently admitted into the hospital with a possible stroke. However, recently the doctors have said they don't think it was a stroke. I'm a bit confused on what really is happening, but the more information I get better I will know. Anyway, if you could pray for him I would appreciate it.
For four Wednesdays in a row I have had Mark Bonocore as a guest on the Faith and Reason Radio Show. He is a well-known Catholic apologist. Our conversations have been polite though sometimes a little tense. He likes to dominate the conversation and throw out a Tine of information. I've tried to be very polite and not interrupt him very much, but it's getting more difficult not to do. As time proceeds through these discussions, I think you might discover some pretty serious and heavy interaction. If You are interested in hearing past dialogues go to http://feeds.feedburner.com/carmorgpodcasting. Let me Know what you think.
Need staff: someone to raise support and move to Boise, ID.
I'm still hoping that by God's grace he will provide one or more individuals who would be willing to relocate to the Boise area, be discipled in apologetics, and work with me in developing CARM to a much broader audience as well is developing more content. I'm looking for someone who is educated and/or has a passion for apologetics, and/or who can write, and/or can do web development, and/or wants to work with CARM. I firmly believe in using the ability of others to do the work of this Ministry. I'm not in it for my glory. I'm in it to equip the body of Christ and bring glory to God. This world is not a playground. It is a battleground. We are to be fishers of men, not keepers of the aquarium. So, I'm aiming to do the best I can with what God has given me.... and I need help to do it. Interested? email@example.com. But, don't contact me unless you are very serious about it.
Crud, my tax accountant is extremely expensive and I'm afraid to even talk to him lest I owe another $100 for a phone conversation. So, I'm trying to waddle through the maze of federal tax, state tax, business tax, Social Security tax, FICA tax, Medicare tax, sales and use tax, and payroll taxes. I'm a theologian and trying to fit square tax information into my round theologian brain is quite unpleasant.
Thanks to all of you who have been signing up for the online schools and donations to CARM. They have been a real encouragement to this Ministry as they have increased lately. Again thank you for supporting this Ministry.
Last week, the CARM homepage was accessed 38,349 times last week with the entire site being accessed 319,100 times with 78,417 total visitors. In October we had a total of 488,069 visitors with over 1.4 million page views site-wide. Woohoo!
Do you have any suggestions for the newsletter or the CARM website? If so, let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks.
Note: please remember that CARM is supported by the volunteer gifts of its readers.
Love and Hate Mail
CARM is constantly getting e-mails of thanks and praise and condemnation. Here are a few...in the raw. (At the suggestion of a reader, the hate mail is first so that the last taste in your mouth, is the love mail).
- am very much disappointed by the way you hate Jehovahs Witnesses . So you spent much of your precious time twisting things so much that they can suite your haterd about JW. Well if TRINITY is as biblical and as holy as you claim how come there is not even a single verse in the bible that has the name trinity?
- I think your absolutely crazy. Why do you have to bash other RELIGIONS (not cults)? Are you so insecure about your own religion that you have to point out so called "faults" in others. And your information is completely incorrect. Your totally ignorant. I don't believe in EVERYTHING my religion says (yes I am a mormon) but that DOES NOT mean I can bash it. I respect people's differences. And religion is one of them. You have your religion and we have ours. Can't you respect that? You make me SO mad and I hope that you become better informed and think about getting real facts before you put something up on a web page.
- Matthew, I've tried very hard to help you, but you are a sick man, with a twisted concept of good. I will say that you do apparently believe in social Darwinism since you place anyone with differing views in hell. I will say this, you have an interesting and twisted mind.
- Love mail
- I just wanted to say thank you for your time and effort in everything you do for the Lord.
- Thank you very much for your help in getting the MOAN downloaded. I've successfully retrieved it. CARM has become very important for my bible studies and I greatly appreciate you putting together the online theology schools, the CARM website, and the MOAN. There's so much to learn and I praise the Lord for your work.
- Hey I just wanted to say that I love your website and it is so helpful. I'm already an Christian and belong to a a charismatic Pentecostal. And I love it. I also love the lord with all my heart. It was the pastor of my church that recommended your website. And it is an awesome website at that. I find it really helpful in answering stuff to non-believers. Well I have to go but I just wanted to take time and encourage you this stuff you're doing is awesome.
Same as Last Newsletter
Please consider supporting CARM financially at $5 per month: here
Prayer Ministry - CARM does have a prayer Ministry. If you are interested in joining us as we pray for others' needs, or if you have needs that you need prayer for, please go to http://www.carm.org/prayer.htm and sign up.
Online Schools. Theology, Apologetics, and Critical Thinking. You can support CARM and also learn.
Discussion Boards - http://www.christiandiscussionforums.org/v/index.php. We have a very active discussion boards.
Chat Room - http://www.carm.org/boards/chat.htm. Want a live discussion?
Live Radio Show! - The show is called "Faith and Reason with Matt Slick." I am on for one hour, five days a week, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. (Mountain Time). It's a live call-in show where people can ask all kinds of questions dealing with Christianity, the Bible, cults, counseling, the occult, etc. You can call in to the number is 208-377-3790 and/or listen live via the Internet at www.myfamilyradio.com on the AM station.
Podcasting CARM now has podcasting ability for past radio shows: http://feeds.feedburner.com/carmorgpodcasting.
Weekly Teaching Time on Paltalk - Every Tuesday evening I host a live discussion room on paltalk.com. Paltalk is a free voice chat system that is quite good. It is full of Christians as well as non-Christians and the battles over truth are frequent. It is however, a good place to learn how to defend your faith. If interested, please join us for our weekly discussion by going to paltalk, download the program, and join us on Tuesday evenings at 8pm, Mountain time.
Do you have any suggestions for the CARM newsletter or the CARM website? If so, please contact us at email@example.com. We want to know what you think, areas of need that you would like to see addressed, as well as any comments you might have.