by Matt Slick
There are many misconceptions about Wicca. Let me list some of them so that we might more accurately understand what it is. But please understand that CARM is in no way approving of any of the practices of Wicca. We are trying to alleviate misconceptions about it since truth (and prayer) are the best weapons against lies.
- Wicca is not Satanism. Wiccans do not acknowledge the existence of the Christian concept of the devil and they do not sacrifice to him.
- Wiccans do not offer blood sacrifices. A slight correction needs to be offered here because there are some of the lesser known Wiccan traditions that do offer animal sacrifices but it is done in order to harness the energy of the sacrifice.
- Wiccans did not practice sex orgies. There are, however, certain Wiccan traditions where nudity and occasional sexual practices are used in their ceremonies, but these are not common in most Wiccan traditions and such practices are closed to outsiders. Wiccans do not fly around on broomsticks.
- Wiccans do not intentionally cast spells on people in order to harm them.
- Wiccans do not laugh in high nasal voices as they stir a cauldron and summon mystical clouds of smoke to be sent out to do their bidding.
- Wiccans are not ugly old hags that look like the witch in the Wizard of Oz. On the contrary, most Wiccans are normal people.
- Wiccans do not believe that the magic they use is bad. Of course, we Christians would disagree with this, but the intention of the Wiccan is not to perform harm. When dealing with Wiccans it is best to ask lots of questions, find out why they believe, what their practices are, and then respectfully discuss with them about their beliefs and actions. As Christians we are supposed to present the truth of the resurrection of Christ and his atoning sacrifice. Don't hammer them with Jesus. Don't try and pound them into submission. Be loving and kind and present truth with Jesus in the center.
It is a difficult task to convince a Wiccan to give up his or her occult practices. There is an attraction and a power in the occult and it has hooked many. Therefore, as Christians we must know the facts concerning Wicca and be ready to speak the truth to them in love.