Mormon is a term used to describe the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints. The term, "Mormon," comes from the name given to one of their Scriptures, the Book of Mormon. More specifically, "The Book of Mormon is named after Mormon, a fourth-century prophet-historian who compiled and abridged many records of his ancestors into the Book of Mormon."1 According to Mormonism, Mormon was a military leader who lived in the fourth century in America who, according to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, recorded the events surrounding his time and the history of his people. This recording was accomplished on golden plates which were allegedly translated by Joseph Smith into what is now known as the book of Mormon.
The Mormon church is not considered Christian. It is considered a non-Christian religion that uses Christian terms but redefines who God is, who Jesus is, what the gospel is, and much more. Following is a list of Mormon teachings documented from Mormon authors.
- There are many gods, (Mormon Doctrine, p. 163)
- There is a mother goddess, (Articles of Faith by James Talmage, p. 443)
- God is married to his goddess wife and has spirit children, (Mormon Doctrine p. 516)
- God used to be a man on another planet, (Mormon Doctrine, p. 321)
- After you become a good Mormon, you have the potential of becoming a god, (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pages 345-347, 354)
- God resides near a star called Kolob, (Pearl of Great Price, pages 34-35, Mormon Doctrine, p. 428)
- The Trinity is three separate gods, (James Talmage, Articles of Faith, p. 35)
- God is increasing in knowledge, (Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p. 120)
- God has the form of a man, (Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, vol. 6, p. 3).
- God the Father has a body of flesh and bones, (Doctrine and Covenants, 130:22)
- We were first begotten as spirit children in heaven and then born naturally on earth, (Journal of Discourse, vol. 4, p. 218).
- What does Mormonism teach?
- Problems with the Book of Mormon
- The Book of Abraham Papyri and Joseph Smith
- 1. lds.org/topic/mormon/